Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Villandry


As we toured the charming interiors of the chateau at Villandry we kept getting distracted by the glimpses through the windows. This is a chateau still owned by the family and there were pictures of them scattered through out the home. I really loved that touch. This is a chateau with an American connection. The Duke (or whatever I can't really remember) married a steel heiress, together they used her money to restore the gardens and home to its glory days. They were especially passionate about the gardens and this showed. Their grandchildren own the home today.
Photobucket

And then we got outside to the breathtaking gardens. Mostly these are vegetables and herbs surrounded by hedges. It was interesting to me to read about their crop rotation and wishing I could see the pumpkins in the fall. (This was mostly only interesting to me and no one else in the gardens.) The vistas just went on and on. Also notice how few people are walking around.
Photobucket

Ignore the butt and the sensible but hideous walking shoes. This was not my best moment fashion wise- but I am being a good girl and including myself in some of these family memories- despite the big rear and ugly shoes.
Photobucket

Vegetables
Photobucket

Beckett is in heaven with a gravel walk way. He loves to wander- he thinks on his own- and stop every few steps to pick up some pebbles. And I love to see my little man in these majestic settings. I just think it is the most charming thing I have ever seen.
Photobucket

This is the face you make when your parents don't let you through a pocketful of pebbles in the fountain. And then they don't let you climb into the fountain. Life is hard. This is less charming than the previous picture.
Photobucket

Just when you think you have seen the garden you walk through a hedge and there is another garden and then another. And then around the corner there is a playground- oh and then a tennis court. There were whole sections we missed- and we were in the gardens for hours.

Photobucket

The Sun Garden
Photobucket

The Butterfly Garden
Photobucket

This was by far one of our favorite spots on the trip. These were the finest gardens by far. It was one of those magical places that the boys and the parents loved. It filled you with this bubble sense of awe and joy. You just felt so lucky to be in this amazing spot. Wandering around with no one getting in your way just soaking it in. Oh and of course there was a chocolate and pistachio ice cream in the park afterwards.
Photobucket

8 comments:

Durrett Family Band said...

I loved the gardens at Villandry. So beautiful. How fun to experience it with your family.

The Clay's said...

Ah it is all so beautiful! Someday maybe when we grow up we will go there haha :)

Andrea said...

I tried to call you back but the phone number I have for you doesn't work anymore. Sad, sad.

Beautiful pictures. Hot blonde. Cute boys.

I must put my sicko self to bed now. Love you.

Kathy said...

What gorgeous gardens! I'm so glad that you shared your beautiful photos (and also glad that you are posting pictures that your BEAUTIFUL SELF are in).

Lesley Ann said...

Wow, wouldn't you love to have a vegetable garden like that!! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful pics. So fun!!

Megan Bruschke said...

What a dream, Polly! I still can't believe you took your little ones to Europe, but what a joy to have so many special memories and so many gorgeous pictures - a true treasure!

Sadie Lou said...

What great photos Polly! Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I deleted my Facebook profile. It was so distracting to me. Please remember my blog! We can still keep in touch.
http://craftilyeverafter.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

wow. that is all so beautiful..love the butterfly garden the most..you take the most beautiful pictures