Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Yesterday was your typical Thanksgiving- tons of food, family, and games. But as I was driving home with the boys (Alma was already home in bed because he has to work today) I realized I hadn't had time for any thanksgiving. So I thought about what I am thankful for this year. I have those amazing gifts in my life that I am grateful for every year. My loving and tender husband, my funny boys who make me laugh every day and smother me with their love on a regular basis. I am thankful for two sisters who are everything to me. The reason I survived our childhood with a semblance of normalcy, and provide me with daily support, inspiration and love. I am always blessed by my extended family- my many steps and in-laws who have made this difficult year a little easier, who when I was in the depths continued to support and love me and give me hope for a brighter and healthier tomorrow.

But this year I think the thing I am most grateful for if the gift of eternal progression. The ability to grow and heal. Much of this year I was suffering from the pain and hurt of the past. It made it difficult to really live in the present and relish the time I have with the boys and Alma now. And that is not how I wanted to live. But my decades long ability to ignore and wall off the pain seemed to have been lost and I needed to find a healthier way to move forward with my life. And with a lot of support, love and work I can see that I am on the right path. That the pain of the past is in the past. That I can guide my future and relish the present. I am amazed at the ability of the soul to continue to heal and grow- to have hope and charity in the worst of times. So this year I am grateful for this gift of healing and progression. For the power of the atonement in my life.

No comments: