Saturday, March 14, 2009

Basketball Dreams

We spent the afternoon watching our niece and nephew's city league basketball games. Those of you who know me know how I love kids sports games. (except baseball- who likes baseball?) It was great watching the boys teams. David won 50-21. He played great. The teams were evenly matched size and age wise- if not skill level. The other team had one really great player (I love it when the great player is the chubby geeky kid with glasses!). It was fun to watch. The other team would have been okay except they were missing the key skill of shooting the ball.

Now the girls game was a whole other story. The team Jessica played was HUGE. Our team came up to their shoulders. And they were talented. We think they must be from Union Hill and they must have been a good year older than our team. Their closest game this season they won by 30 points. Our team was very proficient at several skills: passing the ball to our teammates faces, rolling on the ground, and dribbling in the corner. It was a little depressing to watch. We did only lose by 28(I think- they stopped keeping score half way through the second half). Jessica and Margret (Anna and Jessica's friend) made our teams only 2 baskets.

Over all there were many more tears during the girls game. (Note there were tears during the boys game- just more for the girls.) Coen and Beckett loved being there- except for the buzzer- that was scary for both of my boys. Over all the crowd was friendly and cheered on all the participants and the refs were good at teaching while calling the game. All that you would hope a kids game to be.

1 comment:

Megan Bruschke said...

Sounds so fun! I still remember my first experience playing basketball, I was only 7 and I was such a dork! We have a picture of me with the shortest shorts you have ever seen, crazy long and scrawny legs with socks pulled past my knees, and boy short hair - wow! There is something magical about children's sports, especially when everyone has the proper perspective on what sports are really about at that age! Glad you had such a fun time!