Wednesday, August 17, 2011

It is That Time of Year

Photobucket

Today was Coen's first day of school. He was very "anxious and excited" about this new adventure. His teacher is one of Joseph's kindergarten teachers- Ms Mahaffey or- Ms Susan as Coen prefers to call her. We don't really know anyone in his class- so I was a little nervous too.


Photobucket

This was Coen- he was so excited to go to school!

Photobucket

Beckett didn't want him to go.

Photobucket

He was sad Coen was going- until it was time to pick him up- then he didn't want his Star Wars stopped. He said Coen could wait.

Coen has had a hard time with being separated from his brother this summer. When Loretta pointed out that Beckett wouldn't go to Kindergarten with him- he want to his room and cried for half and hour- so I was a little worried about how they would do. But at least today went okay.

This summer while discussing the upcoming adventure Coen asked what he needed to go to school for. I explained that it was to learn to read and write and do math and science and learn English. Coen responded "I already know English so I will study French." He also said he needed to go to school because he "didn't know everything yet."

We had a little 40 min orientation yesterday- and afterwards Coen said that "was okay- but it was too long." And today when i asked him how his day went he told me it was too tiring. And then we had the worst half hour ever- in which he yelled at me and told me I was being horrible to him and making him angry. Later when he had relaxed a little he told me that his favorite part of the day was listening to Peter and the Woof. We even watched it on youtube five more times when we got home- because he wanted Beckett to hear it. He was mad because he only had time to eat his carrot sticks at lunch and dropped his won tons and they wouldn't give him any milk. If you had called us this evening you would have heard a passionate complaint about his lunch time with many details. But when Dad came home all he had to say was that school is great and he can't wait to go back.


Photobucket

Coen was very serious this morning- he was so like me when I get a little OCD and anxious. It made me laugh a little when he was having his melt down over his name tag. He followed every little instruction very seriously and then looked around wondering why no one else was sitting where they were told to go.

And lunch ladies don't judge me- he asked to have the half eaten cob of corn be put in his lunch. That was his work- not mine.

Yesterday they gave us a questionnaire for the teacher to get to know our kids better. It got me thinking- or thinking some more anyways. What I really want for Coen this year is for him to develop a love for school. I want him to feel successful and smart- I want him to know he can accomplish new things with work. I am not concerned with if he is reading- or the smartest kid. Those things I don't care about- they will come with time. I want this year to build a foundation of self worth and a belief in his intellect and skills. I feel like this foundation will be what makes him successful and happy with his education in the future. I don't want him just to believe this because we praise him for any little thing. I want him to build when he feels overwhelmed but keeps working and succeeds in learning something new. I want him to be praised for his hard work and perseverance- not his intelligence or the result. Because and belief in yourself and the knowledge that you can work hard will be the best reward he could get from this first year in school. And some great time on the playground.

Photobucket
Hmm- I wonder if these will be future friends?

2 comments:

Lesley Ann said...

Sounds like an adventure for the first day of school! We start tomorrow, it will be interesting since I will be welcoming my own students while Braeden has to go to his class. Glad Coen decided he liked school at the end of the day!!

I'm sure you've figured this out, but if not the little boy in the middle of the last picture is Ronan, Hallie's boy. How fun!!

Megan Bruschke said...

I am SO sorry that we missed each other too! That Sunday was busy - school started the next day - but I would have LOVED to see both of you!

Cute first day of school pics. Is he at Deer Creek? Oh, memories!