Sunday, August 28, 2011


While I was making dinner tonight Coen came in the kitchen and asked what the meat was from. I was a little nervous to answer this question. I was making a pomegranate glazed leg of lamb. And though up until now he has been fine with eating chickens and cows I wasn't quite sure how he would take to a cuddly little lamb. But lamb is an important part of my family culinary DNA. I really wanted him to like it. So with a little trepidation I said lamb- leg of lamb. Coen responds "What is lamb- like a baby sheep?". I replied in the affirmative. And then he danced around and around the kitchen for the next half hour begging for sheep leg- when is my sheep leg done? Can I eat sheep leg yet?

And when the meal was carved with his favorite baby rice (couscous) on the side he loved it. He had three servings. So there is another generation of lamb lovers. My Grandpa would be proud.

Alma on the other hand didn't not like it so much. I think it is something you have to eat as a little kid to like. But maybe I will try some braised lamb shank and see if he likes that a little better.

Is it weird I am going to put leftover lamb in Coen's lunch for tomorrow?

3 comments:

Durrett Family Band said...

I can remember taking venison in my lunch in kindergarten or first grade. One of my classmates asked me what it was and totally freaked out when they found out it was deer meat. I didn't think anything of it. I say send it with him.

Andrea said...

My grandma made the BEST lamb stew ever. No joke. My sister Kayli wrote a poem about it once. An ode, in fact. I guess she had lots of practice making it since she was married to a sheep rancher.

Polly said...

I would love the recipe if you have it. My great grandfather was a sheep rancher as well. But my grandfather disliked them so when he inherited he switched to cattle- but still wanted to eat lamb at any holiday.