Saturday, February 28, 2009

Kicking Off the Birthday Week

What a perfect start to my self proclaimed week of celebration of me. (Don't worry- Alma is the only person required to participate.) We spent the morning just hanging around the house. I watched a hokey old musical, knit, played with the boys, ate pancakes- just chilled. Then I went to the library while Alma cruised around downtown Grass Valley with the boys. I then wandered through a couple of my favorite shops while I pretended to look for my family. And I discovered that Debbie Bliss has a magazine! I recognize that to non-kniters that sentence meant absolutely nothing. I got a pastie for lunch and then we went home for naps (and some cuddling with Alma) and some reading time. Then we dropped the boys off at the Greens- ate dinner at India Oven and watched Slumdog Millionaire. (Hush you judgey judgers). Alma and I were both really moved by the movie. It was so powerful. I was just heartbroken for all the pain and abuse in some children's lives and at the same time overwhelmed with such amazement at all I take for granted. Tonight when we tucked Coen in for bed there were some heart felt prayers of thanksgiving for the bounty in our lives, for our freedom, for the innocence of our children. I highly recommend it. The rating is for the painful realities shown in the movie and a little 8 y/o nudity. There is no sex or language- the violence is tastefully done and appropriate for the story. But it is a difficult movie to watch- but worth it I think. It made me think of a book I read last year about the boy soldiers in Africa. Just about how evil in this world steals the innocence and wonder from children's lives. I didn't mean for this to be all about the movie- sorry. Looking back at this post it doesn't seem like such an amazing day- but it was- just absolutely perfect.

Here are some pics of the monkeys wrestling- their new favorite game.





1 comment:

V said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like you are off to a great start! Hope the rest of the week is perfect too!