Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Thanksgiving

I find when I am overwhelmed- feeling a little sad for myself- you know when you have the whiney mopes- nothing helps so much as trying to be thankful. So even though it is a little early I have been singing For the Beauty of the Earth a lot the last couple of weeks. And then I saw this. I have a new favorite version. I can't listen without crying a little. And I can't watch this and not wish my musical friends and family lived a little closer so we could gather for a homey meal and when the kids are mellow gather around the guitar and piano and sing. I am not as talented as my friends and family but I love singing. I love it. I love singing with those I love. So Marika do you think we could do a nice version of this and then maybe start working on Ave Maria like we have been talking about forever? Anyone else want to come and sing? Susan I think we need a tambourine player, Andrea and Malinda- I would love to sing with your voices. Nick- Cody will you bring your stringed instruments? I think it would be an amazing night. I will provide fabulous food (that is what I do).

And just back to the message. As painful and difficult as this life is I am so overwhelmed by the love which from our birth over and around us lies. I am so thankful. Thankful for the amazing bounty and love and freedom that I take for granted most days.

I was grocery shopping today because our cupboard was bare. Poor kids no yogurt no cereal no bananas what were they going to do? And as I was checking out the immense amount of restocking I thought about all the rice and beans, and canned goods, and frozen food in the garage and felt so silly for thinking we had nothing in the house. There is more food in my "bare" cupboards than many people on this earth could even begin to have access to. How spoiled we are. And do I do enough to acknowledge the bounty in my life? Do I do enough to help those who struggle. How simple and silly my worries seem sometimes.

4 comments:

Becky said...

beautifully said, polly. i've been thinking similar thoughts as i pack our house up and decide what to get rid of and never replace...and seeing our bounty of blessings. i think we are gracious when we understand what we have in comparison to what others do not have.

Andrea said...

Polly, I tried to call you tonight. We're trying to decide on an insurance policy (YEAH) and I know you have a high deductible, no-copay plan and wanted to pick your brain about it. If you have a moment tomorrow or the next few days--call me.

PS--I love the song. Can I come to your sing-a-long?

Jackie Clove said...

One of my favorite songs! (I always think we skip over the Thanksgiving hymns and holiday too much -- so maybe I'll join you in starting earlier!) We do have so much to be thankful for! I hope that you are all doing well! Love you!

Jackie

P.S. Although I don't have many skills to add to the mix, singing together with family is a sweet thing! Hope we get to do that during the holidays -- save some room for me in that band, too:)

The Clay's said...

I'm so looking forward to Christmas. It is one of my favorite things in the world is singing with the whole Clove family!

Love you guys!