Sunday, November 16, 2008

Marika's Sr. Portriats


Marika and I went to take her Senior portraits yesterday. We had a great success, but I wanted a little warmer light so we will return on Monday and try for a few more. The best part is while I was taking her pictures a woman came up and asked for my card! She liked what we were doing with Marika and hated the portraits she already had done for her daughter and wanted me to do some for her! Isn't that cool! I was a little sad to tell her I wasn't really a photographer- just an amateur with expensive equipment. I wish we lived near a place like Brooks Institute so I could take some lessons. Anyways- I think some of these are great. Let Marika and I know what you think.

























Mind you- I haven't done any color correction or touch-ups yet so this is just the rough drafts- per se. And now for my favorite pictures. We think Marika looks like a stalker in these and we laughed a lot. Wouldn't you be terrified to go in your bathroom in the middle of the night and find this women standing there.


2 comments:

Andrea said...

Polly, great job on the pictures! You should have numbered them so I would have a convenient way of telling you my two favorites. Too bad--now you'll just have to wonder.

As for teaching a two year old math--calm yourself Iago, I wouldn't worry too much about it. All I did was read them stories with counting in them and they picked it up as they were so inclined. For example, Miriam got the most attention and reading time and she picked up math slowest. Not her thing as much. Cowen--who knows because he didn't talk for so long, but when he could talk he could count to ten and I had no idea. He has a better grasp of concepts than Miriam did at that age--but his hands are still too fat and baby boyish to write letters and numbers. That is going to make doing math with him next year really interesting. Emeline loves to count--but she only says three and four over and over.

My favorite books are the DK books. They have a board book series called Baby Genius that have several counting books and the four seasons (Emeline's favorite because there are pictures of yellow ducks), and a few others. My kids LOVE those books. We're going to have to buy a new set for Brigham because they are starting to fall apart. Definitely favorites.

Um . . . I don't even know what "algebra concepts" would entail. I'm not the math person. I did basic preschool math stuff with Miriam and now Cowen--shapes, longest/shortest, biggest/smallest, sorting by an attribute (my kids love that--find all the beans that are black, etc.), just really basic stuff.

We bought the DK kindergarten book for Miriam this year and use it as her reward math book after she's done her other math. She LOVES it. I was hoping to get Cowen the preschool one for the rest of this school year. They're only ten bucks, and everything DK has done I LOVE. For example, they have an anatomy book that my kids will look at for hours.

Anyway, if this was totally not helpful, call me and tell me more specifically what you want. You're such a great mom! Love you!

Durrett Family Band said...

I think my favorite is the fourth up from the bottom. Great job on the photos.