Tuesday, May 5, 2009

As nice as the weekend was I am exhausted. The boys and I spent Sunday and Monday with my mother. She came home with us and spent today here at the house as well. As always time with my mother is a blessing and a curse. She is full of life and loving- but always on the edge and you vacillate between fun and anger so quickly it is hard to keep up. The emotional whirlwind goes the entire time you are with her- she never turns off. Add to this her not subtle at all judgements and her hatred of all in-laws (except Susie's parent in-laws) and her need to try and play my sisters and I against each other and I am always grateful for our time together to end- and then I feel guilty for feeling that way. Today was the worst though- all was going well and then there was some drama over the cake- looking back it was so silly but mom thought I was mad at her when I was really mad at myself. And then she got on her emotional roller coaster- calls to Becky (and one call to me when she thought she was calling Becky to complain about me- which she didn't realize until hurtful things were said) at this point she has not been drinking for a while and is really getting on edge and things just devolved until she left for home before the party started. Apparently smoking pot takes care of the shakes from withdrawal, but not the testiness.

Too honest Becky?- You are always pushing me to be more real. Is this real enough for you. You know that roller coaster- which is so much worse now with my children. At least there weren't any real mean yelling forceful grandma moments this visit.

2 comments:

Becky said...

holy shiz...baby steps, polly, baby steps. haven't you noticed i haven't even gotten up the nerve to be honest about our extended family. you're my hero. you rock

Andrea said...

Love you. Hang in there.